Friday, August 4, 2017

A Day in the Schoolroom - 4th & 6th Grade!



When we first started our homeschooling journey, this was my favorite post to write every year.  It helped me gather and organize my thoughts and it was also a way to help fellow newbies like myself see a typical schedule in our school day.  I loved reading blogs about specific books and curriculum other families used--it was so helpful to me--especially when they were grade specific.  So, here's our schedule for this upcoming school year along with some of my favorite curriculum/books we'll be using.  Hope it helps!


SCHEDULE




9:00 - 9:30              Bible {Mon. - Fri.}
                               

9:30 - 10:00            Math {Mon. - Fri.}


10:00 - 10:30         Read Aloud Time {Mon. - Fri.}


10:30 - 11:00         American History {Mon. & Tues.}
                                Geography {Wed.}
                                World History {Thurs. & Fri.}


11:00 - 11:30        Science {Tues. & Thurs.}
                                Nature Study/Journaling {Wed. & Fri.}

11:30 - 12:00        Language Arts {Mon. - Thurs.}


12:00 - 12:30        Enrichment Studies
                               Picture Study {Mon.}
                               Poetry Study  {Wed.}
                               Music Study   {Fri.}


Bible

This year we'll be using the Action Bible Reading Plan & Devotional.  We read it in it's entirety a few years ago and, of course, the boys loved it.  I'd been tossing around the idea of using it for our Bible curriculum for the last couple of years but was hesitant because it's not exactly in alignment with the Charlotte Mason Method. But as a mom, I know this will be such a good and fun fit for the boys.

  

Math

We've used the Math-U-See curriculum since we started homeschooling and we absolutely love it.



Read Aloud Time

This is the time of day when the boys relax in the living room while I read out loud to them. We typically finish four to six books a year.  The Simply Charlotte Mason website has book list suggestions--I like to pick and choose from the lists they provide.  Here's the link if you're interested in looking at them: https://simplycharlottemason.com/planning/curriculum-guide/literature/


This year on our reading list:


All-of-a-Kind Family by Sydney Taylor
Five Little Peppers and How They Grew by Margaret Sydney
Little Lord Fauntleroy by Frances Hodgson Burnett
At the Back of the North Wind by George MacDonald



American History

I use the Simply Charlotte Mason curriculum for American History.  I love this curriculum because of the rich selection of living books that accompany the lessons...especially the books used for their particular grade level {these are books they read on their own.}  I've not been a fan of some of their selections on the Family Reading list {books I read to them} for history, but I've learned to browse through them and only read the ones I think will be a good fit for us.

Geography

I use Simply Charlotte Mason for Geography as well {this year will be Visits to North America}.  I considered switching to something different this year, but decided to keep with what I know...you just can't beat the pre-bound curriculum binder and the living books list!  Hungry Planet and Material World by Peter Menzel have been family favorites over the years! We get to learn about different families living in the region we're studying and also get to try their family recipes.

World History

Once again, Simply Charlotte Mason has my affection on this due to their amazing selection of living books.  They also offer an amazing packet of pictures in a portfolio called The Stuff They Left Behind.  This is such a favorite for us.  As the lesson calls for it, we take a look at a particular picture and learn about it and it's significance in history.  

*Simply Charlotte Mason combines Bible, History and Geography into one curriculum.  Bible and Geography are usually on the same days.  Since I'm not using their Bible curriculum this year, I'll simply skip over it on the days it's scheduled but continue with Geography that day.


   

Science & Nature Study

This is our first year using Apologia {Charlotte Mason approved} for our science curriculum and I'm so excited!  We'll be diving into Anatomy and Physiology!  We'll also continue our Nature Study Journals {once or twice a week} with this journal from Simply Charlotte Mason.  Each day has something new to observe, draw, diagram and learn about.    




Language Arts

Using Language Well and Spelling Wisdom by Simply Charlotte Mason are amazing.  Both are such a gentle approach to language arts, and in the four previous years of homeschooling, we've never once shed a tear about spelling or grammar!  Elijah actually asks to do spelling everyday, no joke.  So if you haven't decided on anything yet for spelling and grammar or are looking to make a switch that works better for your kiddo, I highly recommend this curriculum.  We also do copywork once or twice a week to practice handwriting. This year Elijah {our 4th grader} will be copying from God's Wisdom for Little Boys {the selections and illustrations are wonderful}, and Isaiah {our 6th grader} will continue copying from Aesop's Fables.   

  






Enrichment Studies


This time in our day really is my favorite.  I love the arts and I'm so thankful that our boys are getting the opportunity to learn about artists, poets and composers.

Artist Study - Once again, Simply Charlotte Mason is my go to for resources.  They offer Picture Study Portfolios and currently have twenty-two artists to choose from.  This year we'll be looking at Vermeer, Gainsborough and Whistler. One artist per term--each term is 12 weeks.

Poetry Study - This year {all year} we'll be reading and memorizing poems by Robert Frost.  I have a book I purchased a couple of years ago that I'm so excited to use.  If you haven't done poetry with your children yet, I really do recommend it.  You'll be pleasantly surprised how much they like it {yes, even boys} and how well they can memorize poems.

Music Study - For music study I choose one composer per term and each week we listen to different pieces.  I typically find a living book on the composer and we read it throughout the twelve weeks. Opal Wheeler is a favorite for composer biographies!





This pretty much wraps up our year!  If you have any questions or need more suggestions, feel free to message me via the blog or on my FB page:  Schoolroom Journal.

Hope you all have a great rest of the summer and a fruitful school year!  

Your Fellow Homeschool Mom, 

Becca 

No comments:

Post a Comment

10 Cozy Farmhouse Necessities

I've had a sweet affection for farmhouses for as long as I can remember.  Yes, even before Fixer Upper.  I actually felt a bit justified...